Sunday, December 10, 2006

Take two

Well. What a week. The universe surely will conspire to keep you humble, won't it? Man. I won't go into all the details, but suffice to say; some humbling experiences this week. Language-oriented, spatially-oriented...

Okay, I'll explain some. First of all; yesterday I set out again on a trek to reach CT (Churchy Thing). I made a concerted effort to pay closer attention this time to where I was, where I was going, where I'd been, etc. And at one point in the trip, I finally figured out the mystery of what the hell happened on Monday. Let's just say that, on Monday, had I continued walking another ½ mile or so from the point where I decided to turn around and head back, I would have blown my little mind. It's definitely for the best that I didn't; it was hard enough on my ego when I just thought I'd stumbled around the city and ended up on the back-side of the park on the hill. By yesterday I'd gotten over it enough to be able to face the sad, ugly truth; I was truly, truly, nowhere close to where I thought I was. And let's just leave it at that for now. I was able to laugh at myself though. So that's good.

Enough of that! Let's talk about the expedition proper! It was a good walk. I got much closer to CT, close enough to realize a) it's much farther away that it seems, and it seems pretty far, and b) I don't think you can really walk up there. I'm pretty sure you have to take a bus, or drive, or something. The road is not a walking path.

But I got pretty close; at my closest point, I realized that there's some sort of amusement park up there. SWEET! I saw the tops of several rides: Ferris wheel, a kiddy roller coaster of some sort, that sort of thing. Honestly? I think I got close enough. I have been satiated. Oh yeah, also: I think the actual CT is some sort of hospital. So there you go.

But the walk was nice, and actually included a fair bit of honest-to-god off-roading. That was a lot of fun. I winded my way up the hill that I would have to traverse to reach CT, and right near the top I went straight up this overgrown trail through trees and tall grass to a false pinnacle. I'd guess it was 100 feet, pretty steep. I'd say that was the highlight of the walk, but I figured out the layout of the city a bit more, too. I had been thinking that the city was rimmed by hills, but it turns out (I think) that the hills form a sort of semi-circle in the middle of the city, of which Parc Guell (the "mountain" (snicker) from which I originally saw CT) is one of several. And I figured out a more direct route from the vantage point I reached at the end of yesterday's trip, so in the future I will probably use that as the first leg of a different walk I make to parts unknown.

What else...it finally rained here last week. That was good. (And yes, I can hear most of you laughing...that bitter, mirthless laugh of the Seattlite in December.) But it was nice to have the rain; the city actually smelled kinda good for a few hours...

But, it's sunny again now, so I'm going to go for a walk. Not sure where, though I imagine I'll meander down towards the water (cause the city slopes that way...you know).

**********

Okay, I have to say it; you know that last line, the parenthetical aside directly above? I know that should be the end of this post. I feel it very strongly. But I can't help myself. Because that line is from the same Simpsons episode as "The Pope of Chilitown." So if you didn't believe me before, you can believe me now; much as Hebrews believe that the entire universe is contained in the Torah...so to do I believe the same about that episode of the Simpsons.

That is all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeans Pants said...

I've actually been trying to comment on your blog for a couple hours. For some reason it made me sign up for google blogging even though I've been commenting without it for months. It wasn't just your blog it was almost every blog that wouldn't let me do it. Weird!

Anyways what I wanted to say was that the CT walk/hike seemed pretty cool. Especially when you said you could see above the ferris wheel and the other rides.

If you happen to swing by my blog again I was hoping that you'd check out the blog titled "One Sweet tenacious A" Its a video and it might take a while to load but I think it's funny. Hopefully you will too =0)

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home