Monday, July 30, 2007

Got one in before August

It's not that there hasn't been a lot going on. It's just that there hasn't been a whole lot new going on. Everything is just progressing at a normal rate. And, I wasn't doing any work on the computer for several weeks there, so I got out of the habit of writing. Part of my process is all the other stuff I do daily on the computer; if I work on the computer, the rest just falls in line behind. But I don't think this break has been a bad thing; less time in front of the screen is generally positive, I think.

So what is going on... still working in Berkeley as an in-house assistant. Aurora and I get along very well. We entertain each other, which is always a big plus. And I'm really just cooking and cleaning, and then any other little projects that need to be done when I'm there. Thursday night I hung some new bead curtains, for example.

That's another development; I'm cooking all the time now. Both Aspen and I really dig cooking, and all three of us enjoy eating what is cooked, so it's just the perfect situation to practice and learn and develop my chops. It's so much easier to experiment and try new stuff when you're cooking for multiple people; the food is gone quicker so you can try something different, and with somebody else also cooking all the time it's easy to find inspiration and also not feel pressured. Aspen and I have gotten better at complementing each other's dishes, for example, both in the same meal and over the course of days.

But, as I was saying, the job and my own home-cooking really work well together. I also get inspired by what Aurora has me cook for her, and bring home little techniques that I develop when I'm at work. And, as I practice at home, cooking at work gets even easier.

I'm using a cookbook my mom got for both me and my brother several years ago, called "How to Cook Everything." That title is not an overstatement, nor is it conceited; it really is a cookbook that outlines every basic aspect of cooking. The author, Mark Bittman, is an amazing cook and a great writer (he's the NY Times food guy; not the restaurant critic, but the "how to" guy). His philosophy is easy to describe: start with the best ingredients, don't do much to them, and you'll be fine. The idea that you really can make delicious food at home more quickly, easily, and cheaply than any processed, canned, or frozen dish you could find in the store. The more I use his cookbook, the easier everything becomes. It's not even just that I'm getting better at it; it's that every recipe is quick and easy and delicious. I keep expecting to find one of those complicated, do-four-things-at-once recipes, but they're just not there. Truly a marvelous book.

Speaking of books; I read the new Harry Potter over the course of 24 hours last weekend. It broke down as about 8 hours of sleep; 10 hours Deathly Hallows; and 6 hours for everything else (eating and bathroom breaks is really about it). I think it's the best one of the seven, myself. I won't give away anything just in case, but I was also pleased that several of my predictions were correct.

And, yesterday, I saw the Simpsons movie. Some will wonder how I was able to wait two days... it's good, obviously not as good as the best of the shows, but still a solid 80 minutes of entertainment. I'd say 3-4 really deep gut laughs, and another 8-10 solid chuckles. What was weird was the near total absence of secondary characters; there were the five Simpsons, and the villain... besides those six, really only Flanders and a pig got much face time at all beyond what amounted to cameos. Still, it delivered what was expected and, in the end, it was The Simpsons, after all.

So, besides consuming children's media, what else have I been up to ... planning for my trip home, getting really excited about it. I always try to keep myself from overly focusing on trips until about a week before I'm leaving... and then I start to geek out. So that's right now. Here's my itinerary:

Leave Friday, arrive at Grant's Pass, OR to visit my friends Duward and Julie.

Saturday, go on a low-key river rafting trip with Duward and a bunch of developmentally disabled people and their supervisors. Duward is a social worker and he used to work with DD folks, so he volunteers on this trip every year. It happens to coincide with my visit this year, so I get to tag along too.

Sunday, drive the rest of the way to Seattle (actually Bellevue) and stay at my buddy Joe's.

Monday, we go to Westport to take surfing classes and drink beer. In that order for Joe; in the opposite order for me.

Tuesday we get back to the Seattle area, and I'm going to go out for dinner/drinks somewhere in the city. I'm pretty sure it's either going to be the Elysian on Cap Hill or the People's Pub in Ballard. Anyone who wants to come out should get at me on Tuesday and find out where we're gonna be.

Wednesday, over to the peninsula to my folks' new house. Last time I was there they had just moved in, so I'm excited to see what's happened. And, Glenn and Noreen are coming in that evening, too. Dad's been gathering lots of wild Puget Sound seafood for the occasion, and mom still has dozens of bottles of good wine to consume... I predict a blowout of epic proportions. And by blowout, I'm referring to the waistband of our pants, of course.

Saturday I'm going back over the water for a wedding, and then I'm staying in the city pretty much until I leave the following Sunday. No specific plans mapped out yet; lots of peops to see, of course, and at least a full day on Whidbey to see my uncle, aunt, and cousins, and to devour Penn Cove Mussels. Otherwise, just want to chill with the old-school for awhile, hit some of my favorite Seattle joints and get my vacation on. Again, get at me if you want to participate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amboy Observer said...

Pay attention in your surfing class so you can teach me, K?

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home