Thursday, November 02, 2006

In commemoration of the two year anniversary of the anti-christ stealing his second election

So this whole John Kerry flap. Notwithstanding the fact that what he said is exactly correct...does anyone now doubt that he’s a secret Republican? I mean really. Could he have chosen a more muddled, wrong-spirited way to say something? Not to mention the timing. The one thing the Dems had going for them was the war. That’s it. (Well, the pedophiles and overt racists in Florida helped too. But you know what I mean.) And now the GOP has this stupid sound-bite to play over and over, distracting attention from the real issues about the war...seriously, Kerry is a Republican.

But back to what he said. It’s no secret that the armed forces are peopled by the poor and under-educated. Well, strike that: the people who are on the front lines fighting the actual hand-to-hand (for lack of a better phrase) are the poor and undereducated. There are of course others, working the computers, listening to chatter in Arabic and monitoring web sites, or else they’re making $10G a month as private contractors. But isn’t it a pretty well-known fact that the vast majority of the people who actually make up the armed forces are there because they’re poor and undereducated? Isn’t that the whole point? That’s how they sell the fucking program, for god’s sakes! "Need to learn a marketable skill? Can't afford college? We can help!"

Of course, nobody likes to be overtly told they’re stupid trash, especially by a Senator from New England. But whatever. Anyone who thinks the Democrats are going to save this country, fix the problem in Iraq, stop recruiting poor people into the armed forces...well, I respectfully disagree. As my esteemed brother likes to say, the Democratic party is where social movements go to die. Nope, what we need is a complete overhaul. I for one nominate Bill and Melinda Gates as the new presidents of everything.

What else is going on. Ah, this is fun:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6105412.stm

More good news for alcoholics! Here’s the line that really gets me:

“They discovered the mice given resveratrol alongside their food...showed decreased glucose levels, healthier hearts and liver tissue, and better motor function compared with the mice on the same diet but without the supplement.”

So now drinking is good for your liver? And motor functions, for god’s sakes? So, like, you should be able to drink a bunch of red wine and, say, go for a drive or something? I believe the appropriate phrase is "tell it to the judge."

It’s been a quiet week. Sunday a bunch of us went to Park Guell, that big park on the “mountain” (snicker) in the middle of town. It hasn’t rained here in awhile so the air quality sucks, but you could still see the whole city stretched out on all sides. I took some hazy pictures. It was a nice hike up the “mountain” (guffaw), and there was a lot Gaudi sculptures up there, too. I know, big surprise, huh? Gaudi in Barcelona??? No WAY. If I may paraphrase the great Jonathan Richman, Gaudi loved color and he let it show. His sculptures have twice the colors other sculptures have. Anyone know the etymology of the word “gaudy”? I think it might derive from “Gaudi.”

Actually, there's a rumor/urban legend that Gaudi was color-blind, and only did his best work at the end of his career with a young apprentice...check out the crazy lizard at Park Guell and it's not hard to believe.

Watched the Champions League futbol match between Chelsea and Barcelona the other night, that was fun. As you may recall, this was the first match-up I attended the week I got here, too. Chelsea won that one in London, and the rematch was here. A very important game for many reasons. Exceedingly chippy. The ref lost control early. Good times. There were some amazing plays, though, including the prettiest goal you're ever likely to see. It gets better every time I watch it.

Anyways, the game ended in a draw when Drogba equalized in the sixth minute of extra time. That's a helluva lot, by the way. And then the ref inexplicably called time at the 5:19 mark. Very odd. So, what this means is that, since I got here, FC Barca has lost twice and drawn at home to their two biggest rivals, Chelsea and Real Madrid. A little secret: I'm rooting against Barca. I mean, if I moved to Boston I wouldn't suddenly become a Red Sox fan, right? I'm funny like that. I will almost invariably go against the popular opinion. I'm sure if I moved to London instead I'd now be rooting for Barca. But seeing as how I'm here, I naturally tend towards the side that nobody in the room is rooting for. I am actually beginning to like Chelsea...the Russian mafia ties are just the icing on the cake. They're like an all-star team.

Yesterday was a bank holiday here. I tell ya, if you think it sucks when you can’t go the bank in the states on bank holidays...imagine if you couldn’t go the grocery store. Or anywhere else for that matter. It’s actually kind of refreshing, to tell the truth. Not quite so materialistic; the need to buy anything you want at any time you want. Not that they’re not getting the idea, of course. I went for a wander yesterday and most everywhere was closed...but I’m sure if I went to some of the bigger shopping malls I could have gotten a cell phone and a Big Mac. You know what? Damn. I walked by a Burger King the other day and completely forgot to check if they had a Royale con Queso. I’ll do some research and get back to you on that one.

Hahaha, check it out:

[Middle English gaudi, gaud, prank, trick, possibly from Old French gaudie, merriment.]

Gaudy really does derive from Gaudi. Suh-weeeeet...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeans Pants said...

Hello, I was just blogging tonight and came upon your page. I am a liberal fro Massachusetts and now living in LA. Kerry is a very smart man but your right,he is very right sided about a lot of issues. I think he became the man to take on Bush because of that. The Dems wanted someone a little towards the middle and they still lost. I hate republicans and the Democrats have no back bone. It sucks this world we live in but there arent many places to move too. Except maybe another planet. Also if you're a Stephen Colbert fan at all you should watch last nights episode. It was awesome.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Amboy Observer said...

Your theory on Kerry is interesting, but I hold with the philosophy of never attributing to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. Thus, I believe Kerry is only a bungler of the first water, not a double-agent.
It is dismaying to hear Democrats in the news giddily talking about the prospect of regaining power. A lot of what I've read makes them sound like the are crazed for control and are already beginning the process of becoming the corrupt rulers, before they've even ascended!
Nonetheless, I think that Bush is as bad a president as I can expect to see in my life, and so I'm optimistic about the future. If the Dems can stymie him somewhat until the next one, which almost certainly can't be as bad.
I read a statement by him suggesting that voters who care about high taxes and security should vote Republican and was struck by the irony. If he is the epitome of Republicanism (a dubious claim, but one we must make as he is their leader) and his pointless war has cost us more in taxes and security than I can fathom, then his party is precisely the opposite of what he claims it to be. Par for the course.

6:57 PM  
Blogger the_pope_of_chilitown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:18 PM  
Blogger the_pope_of_chilitown said...

I know, what worries me about the Dems is that they have consistently reacted to electoral losses in the past few years by moving further and further right. Karl Rove is the master of rallying the traditional GOP power bases; getting gay marriage bans on all the ballots in '04 got all the fundies out, and once they were there they were obviously going to vote for Bush. The Dems need to take the same tack and rally unions, minorities, etc...
Alternatively, I AM hoping for the Dems to take control of the Houses this week, because I am always afraid when one party controls every aspect of government and has carte blanche to push their agendas through. This way, at least, there will be some resistance...although as long as everyone from both parties represents corporations and not actual people, things won't change much...

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home