Friday, June 16, 2006

Pixies "covers"

This is awesome:
http://pottymouth.org/mcpt/
This guy does Pixies' songs in the style of other bands. Some of them are eerily accurate. My favorites are Jimi doing Vamos (including the "you fucking die" part... genius) and the Beach Boys doing Levitate Me.
I always appreciate people who can recreate different styles of music well; it's one of the reasons I like Ween so much, or did back in the day at least (I fell out of touch with the boys after the country album). It makes me wonder how much time this guy spent on these tracks; if he could just whip them out quickly, or if there was some major study involved. I tend to think it's the former; he just knows how to sing like Jimi, or create the right keyboard sounds for the Beach Boys...
It's the little touches, I think, that make them work so well. Small vocal mannerisms of the different groups, almost indistinguishable in of themselves, but so completely necessary to create the proper effect. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home